Here are the prescribed essay titles for IB students taking their exams in May 2017.
1. “It is only knowledge produced with difficulty that we truly value.”
To what extent do you agree with this statement?
2. “Facts are needed to establish theories but theories are needed to make sense of facts.”
Discuss this statement with reference to two areas of knowledge.
3. Should key events in the historical development of areas of knowledge always be
judged by the standards of their time?
4. “In the production of knowledge, traditions of areas of knowledge offer correctives
for ways of knowing.” To what extent do you agree with this statement?
5. Given access to the same facts, how is it possible that there can be disagreement
between experts in a discipline? Develop your answer with reference to two areas of knowledge.
6. “Humans are pattern seeking animals and we are adept at finding patterns
whether they exist or not” (adapted from Michael Shermer). Discuss knowledge
questions raised by this idea in two areas of knowledge.